I’ve been going over goals at work for an end of year review. I’ve been thinking I should do something similar for “real life”.
2014 – Basically my only goal for the last year has been to survive. My son is now 11 months old and I think my wife and I are doing pretty good. Over all, I think last year has been pretty much “win”.
So, goals for 2015. I’ve been thinking a lot about these. Here are some things I think I can accomplish.
1) Learn a new language. I’ve had a half-year of Latin, which was a lot of fun and has allowed me to learn roots of words. Etymology (study of the origin of words) has become a small hobby of mine. I’ve tried to learn Spanish in the past, but for some reason I have a lot of difficulty sticking to it. I think I may need to just try to pick something that can keep my interest longer. I’ve heard Dutch is a good language for English speakers to learn, as they are very close. I may have to take a look at it.
2) Try to hit 175 lbs. I’m currently around 215. I had gotten down to 199 at one point. I can’t remember the last time I was at 175. Maybe 9th grade? I know I can do it. I just need to keep motivated!
3) Do some kind of event. I need to think about this a bit more. Getting time to exercise right now is pretty tough. I come home from work and often need to give Amy some time away from the kid. Some of that time is her training for her Olympic triathlon in Hawaii in March. That means I don’t really get any good time to train. I’ll have to think about this some more.
4) Come up with some passive type of income. I’ve been thinking a lot about this one as well. Maybe trying to come up with some sort of online class, like how to secure an EC2 instance. The problem I’m having here is maintaining interest. At the same time, if I can get some passive income going, I’ll have more time to do other things that I like more. I think I may need to break this down into some separate steps to help me achieve the goal.
5) Learn more about myself. I think if I can pierce some more of my own illusions and learn more about myself, I may come up with some more ideas for passive income that I’ll actually be able to complete. This is a bit of a tricky one, as we are all very good at lying to ourselves.