I just added a new page above, “Hacker Media”, to keep track of various media that involves some form of hacking. Most of them are not even close to realistic, but can still be entertaining. Let me know if I missed something and I’ll added. The original list comes from lists compiled from various places I’ve worked.
Weight – 228.2
L-UpperArm – 13.5″
R- UpperArm – 13.75″
Waist – 46.5″
Hips – 42.25″
L-Leg – 21.75″
R-Leg – 24.25″
Total inches – 162
I’ve decided to try a new diet. Over the last year, I lost 40 lbs, but gained 28 of them back. I just couldn’t do the Medifast diet anymore. Sure, they have 70 kinds of meals, but 90% of them I couldn’t stand and I just got… tired of the rest. Also, I always felt hungry. Maybe because I couldn’t stick to the plan 100% 7 days a week?
Now, I’m going to try “4 Hour Body” by Tim Ferris. It’s basically a slow carb diet with a cheat day once a week. I think I can do that. Also, I need to get some kettle bells. Kettle bell swings are suggested as a full body workout to help keep things moving.
So, I’m putting my stats on here and will probably be posting about them once a week. Since my cheat day will be Saturdays, I’ll normally post them on sometime Friday evening. Just starting the diet tomorrow, so I wanted to get my current stats up.
Also, I’ll be starting some kind of photo feed somewhere with what I’m eating six days a week (no pics on cheat day!). I’ll keep it separate so I don’t bombard people with my food. I’ll post a link as soon as it’s setup. I do encourage people to check it out. If you see something suspicious or I don’t post anything on it for a day, please call me out on it! Maybe Instagram?
Also looking for ideas for motivation. Something monetary, like if I cheat, I donate money to something… Or Amy gets to get a manicure…? Give me ideas!
Been thinking a lot about music again. I’ve started a new playlist on Spotify for music to introduce to Rory. I just randomly grabbed a song by Eric Clapton to add and have been using the “related artist” to add more. Besides Clapton, so far I’ve got…
Eurythmics, Cream, Derek & The Dominos, Jimi Hendrix, Santana, The Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZ Top, Led Zeppelin, Steve Miller Band, Dire Straits, and Stevie Ray Vaughan. I’m also going to include some classical, like Mozart, and some Electronic, like Daft Punk.
Who else would you include on a must introduce list?
I… Honestly couldn’t bring myself to add Pink Floyd. I put on Another Brick IN The Wall, Part2 and… I have such mixed emotions about that song. My shoulders actually tensed up. I think I’ll have to sleep on that one…
I’ve been going over goals at work for an end of year review. I’ve been thinking I should do something similar for “real life”.
2014 – Basically my only goal for the last year has been to survive. My son is now 11 months old and I think my wife and I are doing pretty good. Over all, I think last year has been pretty much “win”.
So, goals for 2015. I’ve been thinking a lot about these. Here are some things I think I can accomplish.
1) Learn a new language. I’ve had a half-year of Latin, which was a lot of fun and has allowed me to learn roots of words. Etymology (study of the origin of words) has become a small hobby of mine. I’ve tried to learn Spanish in the past, but for some reason I have a lot of difficulty sticking to it. I think I may need to just try to pick something that can keep my interest longer. I’ve heard Dutch is a good language for English speakers to learn, as they are very close. I may have to take a look at it.
2) Try to hit 175 lbs. I’m currently around 215. I had gotten down to 199 at one point. I can’t remember the last time I was at 175. Maybe 9th grade? I know I can do it. I just need to keep motivated!
3) Do some kind of event. I need to think about this a bit more. Getting time to exercise right now is pretty tough. I come home from work and often need to give Amy some time away from the kid. Some of that time is her training for her Olympic triathlon in Hawaii in March. That means I don’t really get any good time to train. I’ll have to think about this some more.
4) Come up with some passive type of income. I’ve been thinking a lot about this one as well. Maybe trying to come up with some sort of online class, like how to secure an EC2 instance. The problem I’m having here is maintaining interest. At the same time, if I can get some passive income going, I’ll have more time to do other things that I like more. I think I may need to break this down into some separate steps to help me achieve the goal.
5) Learn more about myself. I think if I can pierce some more of my own illusions and learn more about myself, I may come up with some more ideas for passive income that I’ll actually be able to complete. This is a bit of a tricky one, as we are all very good at lying to ourselves.
After attending B-Sides Seattle, I’ve realized I miss working in the computer security field. I have no regrets about leaving my last security position for my current position, but I’m thinking that I should eventually move back into the security field. To keep myself sharp, I’m installing Kali Linux on a raspberry pi I have lying around. I’m also planning on banging on an install of Damn Vulnerable Linux, or a similar install.
Any suggestions on things to study/play with would be welcome!
Amy is signed up for an Olympic distance triathlon in March with TnT. Want to help fight cancer? She’s taking donations at http://pages.teamintraining.org/wa/lavatri15/Amy15
So what am I doing this year? Well, I wasn’t planning on doing anything, since fund raising for both of us at the same time is difficult. I was thinking of trying to do the Victoria half ironman again next year, since it’ll be my turn
But then… I heard of an offer that if you do Victoria or Lavaman this year and increase your fund raising amount by $1000, then you can also train with the team for a full ironman! I’m really hoping they do it again next year, because I think that would not only give me enough time to get in shape enough to actually finish an Ironman, but I think I could handle the fund raising then too!
So… Ironman 2016? What do you think?
I also noticed a couple marathons this season, including one on June 13. The fund raising for it is minimal. I’m thinking of joing up for it. I’m not sure about the fund raising on top of what Amy needs to raise for her triathlon, but I’d have a little time to figure that out before I’m committed.
In the mean time, I’ve got several books to look over to think about 2016
Joe Friel’s “The Triathlete’s Training Bible”
JoeFriel & Gordon Byrn’s “Going Long, Traing for Ironman-Distance Triathlons”
Gale Bernhardt’s “Training Plans for Multisport Athletes”
How you use your time.